Monday, October 5, 2009

I'm going to write a compare and contrast essay.....about you!

I schlepped my bag into the office and dropped it down as if it was 3,000 pounds. I slumped into my chair with a groan. My colleague looked at me with a look of chagrin. "What's wrong?" I said reluctanly. She breathed in "Peter Pan is writing an essay about the two of us!" "WHAT" "NO"
"He can't be?" "Oh, he is", she stated with certainty. My colleague and I both taught him, she had him for Reading and Writing and I had him for a class called Culture and Communication. "This can't be good", I moaned. She continued "I guess the other students tried to talk him out of it, but he couldn't be pursuaded." Sure enough, two weeks later, the essay appeared. Here is an excerpt:

"The first teacher I want to talk about teaches me Culture and Communication. She is American but with the Italian blood. What a tall and slim lady! She is passionate. She speaks with great fervor. She put her words into vivid movement. She is enthusiastic. She is cordial and makes you excited about what you are learning. She was that kind of teacher who can easily draw your attention and loaded everything needed into your mind (including the way of her teaching) right away. I remember in the class, she videotaped our presentation in order to prove our speaking skills; she held a debate to help develop our critical thinking; she also gave a lot of assignments which required us do some investigation in or outside the campus. All these make you exciting and meanwhile brought about pressure on your academic studying. In Diana’s class, she might first help you discover yourself then lead you to discover what she wants to interpret. She is fire and she makes you feel the fire."

How exactly do you interpret that?

1 comment: