Thursday, September 24, 2009

I AM English.....

My student, Peter Pan, was much more fluent than the rest of my students. This caused him to jump in and automatically correct his fellow classmates, laugh out loud at incorrect verbage, and frankly display other various obnoxious reactions to his fellow classmates. So, it was time to pull him aside and have "the talk". You know, fellow teachers, exactly what I'm talking about. You dread it, but you know you have to do it.

So, after class, and after a particularly condescending session with Peter Pan in rare form, I put an end to his comments. I politely told him that I will be the one in class to gently correct the students when they make English mistakes and that it was not necessary for him to get involved. As I was diplomatically laying this out for him, he interrupted me with this statement.
"But I AM English, I FEEL English, these people do not!" With this, I simply didn't know where to go with it. I stopped and decided to play along. "Yes, Peter, I know you're English, but I could have sworn you were Chinese". He started laughing. I smiled and put my head down, this wasn't going to be too bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment